Jim Rex wins education race ... at last

To those who don't already know, Karen Floyd looked at the various potential issues and decided to throw in the towel today. Jim Rex will, without contest, become the next Superintendent of Education.

For those who made some pretty unfair attacks on me as a "RINO lover" for backing Staton ... well, I want to congratulate you for all you've done. You helped nominate a candidate with serious flaws, especially in her own backyard, and helped give this office four more years of Democratic rule.

In spite of the many warning signs, you let yourself fooled by the Pied Piper who played the tune you wanted to hear. While you may have been fooled, the voters weren't.

Public education needs many reforms, including fiscal restraint, accountability, discipline, a greater emphasis on workforce development and lifelong learning, and yes, choice for parents - including charter and private schools. But school choice requires a systemic overhaul and faces major opposition, and therefore is the part of education reform which will take the longest time to bring to fruition.

But Karen Floyd's campaign agenda overlooked a lot of those concerns and issues, and she lacked experience in education policy, which handicapped her candidacy from the start.

There are conservative reformers who have a lot to say about education, along with serious credentials in the field of education leadership. Republicans who want to take back this office in four years need to find one of them for their candidate. If Mr. Rex fails to make progress, given the close outcome, it's easy to see where a more qualified Republican candidate could win in four years.

Responsible school reform should start with those goals which are most easily achieved, and then proceed to the more complex and difficult challenges. While Rex and I do not agree on the issue of private school choice, there are many areas where he correctly believes reforms can, and should, be made.

If he is a man of his word, and one of vision and drive, then I wish Mr. Rex the best of luck in the next four years. He will certainly have his work cut out for him.

... and next time you have a good rockin' concert event, let me know. Especially if I can get in for free. If you read my blog, good rock is right up my alley.

22 Response to "Jim Rex wins education race ... at last"

  1. Anonymous 21/11/06 14:53
    laugh all you want, but in the end, you'll be sorry.
  2. Moye 21/11/06 17:20
    As my conversation with you earlier today.
    This guy will fail just as every other one has. He does not have a chance unless he is willing to change things and he will not. Look who he has with him now Riley. The same status quo.
  3. Anonymous 21/11/06 18:21
    "What this state needs is an enema"

    Jack Nicholson (in paraphrase, from Batman0
  4. Alex 21/11/06 19:50
    well, Sir, this looks like either your post was based on your comment on my site or visa versa.

    I, atleast to my recollection, never attacked you for being for Mr. Staton.

    Secondly, Mr. Staton was a RINO and was for the Status Quo...just as Mr. Rex is for the Status Quo--he was backed by the Status Quo. I would rather have someone I believed in lose a general election as a Republican, then someone with no passion--just a status quo candidate--win as a Republican.

    Third, Mr. Staton could have endorsed Mrs. Floyd, however he did not. Why?

    Fourth, It all comes together when we see Bob Staton on Jim Rex's transistion team...

    I didn't attack you for being a fan of Staton, don't attack me for being a fan of Ms. Floyd. You uncredited attacks on Ms. Floyd in this post and on my post were unfounded.

    This coming from a student currently in the Public Schools of South Carolina, whose Mom is a Teacher, and whose Dad is on school board. I have a vested interest in SC Schools, and I am sorry that Karen Floyd lost, because all we are going to get from Rex is more of the same: more excuses, more lower rankings, and more bureaucracy.
  5. Earl Capps 21/11/06 21:39
    alex - don't think too highly of yourself. my post was written before i saw yours.

    i went to public schools, and guess what? i've got kids who go to public schools too. does that give me a legitmate voice too?

    i am also an appointee of my county council to the regional workforce investment board and HR person for my company. that gives me a little insight that you don't yet have in life - i see a workforce that can't fill out an application and lacks basic skills left and right.

    as someone who deals with these issues, i can assure you that staton would have been a change, and karen floyd would have stumbled while she learned the issues.

    i supported staton because when i talked about those issues, he listened, and he could talk about them.

    karen floyd never could. she gave me a few minutes of political pep talk, and moved on.

    my criticisms of floyd's campaign are legitimate. she lost thousands of votes in her home county that went to every other statewide GOP candidate - something had to be wrong for that to happen. badly wrong.

    she had no resume in education, and staton and rex did. they could talk about a wide range of issues. if you think the average voter doesn't pay attention to that, think again. they did.

    floyd virtually left the GOP rank-and-file choking dust after the primary. her people, time and time again, said she wasn't able to make this event or that event, but she never had problems showing up for fundraisers.

    you think THAT wasn't insulting? you think that wasn't discouraging? it was.

    if you think staton didn't offer a new perspective and wouldn't have changed course? think again.

    too many of the "all or nothing" types started going in on staton over one issue - school choice. i disagreed with him on school choice, openly, but we agreed on a lot of otheri issues.

    in the end, you got played by the pied piper. someone who told you what you wanted to hear, instead of what you needed to hear.

    you bought it, hook and sinker.

    i voted for karen floyd, but reluctantly, because she was the lesser of two given evils. it never should have come down to that.

    jim rex and his people are glad you did.

    i don't know what he'll do. if he does little different, i won't be surprised.

    but i hope that you and i are wrong about the guy. we can't afford four more years stuck in neutral.

    in any event, i appreciate you stopping by to post. keep coming back and sharing your thoughts. i like honesty far more than i like agreement.
  6. Alex 21/11/06 23:28
    honestly, I don't like your blog very much. Honestly, I'll take Jim Rex over Bob Staton, because Jim Rex atleast is proud of his party...honestly, stop being a jerk about the whole karen floyd stuff.
  7. Earl Capps 21/11/06 23:57
    alex, that's fine, i don't need your approval. maybe you just like blogs that tell you what you want to hear. if so, too bad for you.

    even when i was your age, and cracking Dem heads across the state (i've done plenty of work for GOP candidates in your county, btw, going back to 1990 - want some names?), i was never so arrogant or in desire of wanting to be right.

    i also learned that everything involves some give-and-take, and that sometimes, this is a good thing.

    so, mr. staton expert ... tell me what made staton such a flaming liberal? surely, you didn't just take the word of others, did you?

    as they say up in curwood chappell country - put up, or shut up.

    i'm being a jerk, as you put it, because ...

    1) she was a weak candidate, who
    2) gave to democrats,
    3)was well-known as a quitter (including the judgeship that she quit before she ever sat on the bench), who
    4) wasn't too liked in her home county,
    5) had a fundamental inability to communicate to the middle-of-the-road voters who wanted to know what she'd do here and now, and who
    6) put up a total smokescreen that fooled a lot of GOP activists, but didn't fool voters one bit.

    it's one thing to lose a race, it's another to do so with a candidate who, aside from running a well-funded, high-gloss, low-substance campaign, had so little to offer the voters, and more importantly, our schools.

    if you'd rather see a blatant liberal in an office, over some purtianical and childish "i'd rather have it all or have nothing" ego trip, instead of a center-right candidate, then you'll find your political experiences rather frustrating.

    especially in chester county.

    i'd rather get half a loaf than none at all - especially when the future of our state is counting on it.
  8. Anonymous 22/11/06 00:57
    Hey alex, how much of Howard Rich's money did you guys blow?

    Instead of getting pissy with some blogger, you and the fest of the Floyd folks better go to some campaign school and learn that there ar better ways to spend money than sendning a mailout attacking a tv station or having your candidate be unable to even utter the word "tax credit"
  9. Anonymous 22/11/06 04:21
    I hate Floyd lost. I was looking forward to seeing her hand out some discipline. Oh yeah!
  10. Anonymous 22/11/06 08:36
    just think - if karen floyd did such a good job turning people off in her backyard, how much damage would she have done as SuperEd, and how badly would she have blown it in four years?

    betcha alex can't answer that one.

    when he learns how to win elections, then he can come back and tell us what is smart and what is stoopid. right now, the kid doesn't have a clue.
  11. Alex 22/11/06 10:49
    1) I am not connected with the Floyd Campaign.
    2) Don't keep attacking me for my age. I am much smarter, as it has been shown, at my age, then you are at yours.
    3) I am sure you have done work for GOP Candidates in my County...but did any of them win?
    4) "One of the Strongest Candidates in SC History..." its a quote from one of the newspapers...guess which one.
    5) OOO, she gave to democrats...Jim Rex IS A DEMOCRAT...Bob Staton SUPPORTED Democrats...lots of business owners give money to both parties. I know alot of Conservatives who voted for BILL CLINTON, because he was viewed as a SOUTHERN centrist governor to GHWB NOREASTERN LIBERAL REPUBLICAN2) gave to democrats,
    3)was well-known as a quitter
    (including the judgeship that she quit before she ever sat on the bench), who
    4) wasn't too liked in her home county,
    5) had a fundamental inability to communicate to the middle-of-the-road voters who wanted to know what she'd do here and now, and who
    6) put up a total smokescreen that fooled a lot of GOP activists, but didn't fool voters one bit.

    it's one thing to lose a race, it's another to do so with a candidate who, aside from running a well-funded, high-gloss, low-substance campaign, had so little to offer the voters, and more importantly, our schools.

    if you'd rather see a blatant liberal in an office, over some purtianical and childish "i'd rather have it all or have nothing" ego trip, instead of a center-right candidate, then you'll find your political experiences rather frustrating.

    especially in chester county.

    i'd rather get half a loaf than none at all - especially when the future of our state is counting on it.

    21/11/06 23:57


    Anonymous said...
    Hey alex, how much of Howard Rich's money did you guys blow?

    Instead of getting pissy with some blogger, you and the fest of the Floyd folks better go to some campaign school and learn that there ar better ways to spend money than sendning a mailout attacking a tv station or having your candidate be unable to even utter the word "tax credit"
  12. Alex 22/11/06 10:53
    i entered my last comment too soon, so just ignore it or whatever, but you don't know me. You have never met me, I presume, and my family has been in Chester County probably longer than your family has been in the USA.

    Don't tell me I don't know SC politics, or that I don't know politics in my county, or infer that i am naiive and young. I am 18 years old. So stop with all the BS attacking of me personally.

    I disagree with your analysis. I have said that. But I have never attacked you personally, sir.

    Don't attack me.
  13. Earl Capps 22/11/06 11:28
    Alex - indeed some of them did ...

    Melvin Croft (his 12 vote loss to Johnny Weir and then his 54% special election win).

    Jim Miles for Sec of State (first Republican statewide candidate to win Blackstock, back in 1990 when even Strom lost it).

    Crack Anderson (lost to Linda Short in 1992, but won his Chester precincts in a landslide).

    That doesn't count the races I worked on next door in York County.

    I cracked a lot of heads back in the days when Democrats outspent us and every seat we took was a first-time GOP win. I was a lot tougher then.

    If you don't like what I have to say, then too bad. It's insights learned from years of slugging it out in an arena where you end up learning that your best friends are really your worst enemies, and vice versa, and that people often do the most when it will accomplish the least.

    so, when i talk, its from the basis of what i've seen up-front, close and personal. believe me, i used to be a lot more self-righteous, extreme, and narrow-minded.

    there's still an R next to my name, but i've learned things are not as black and white as you seem to portray it - and as i once did.

    My family has been around SC for quite a while, I can assure you. or maybe we got off the UFO last month. those who know me, know who I am and where I came from.

    one of the strongest candidates? who are you referring to?

    ... and how are you smarter than I am? i've GOT to hear some of this.
  14. UpstateDemDude 22/11/06 11:34
    alex sure is all riled up. be nice to him, earl :)

    he just can't admit karen floyd was a sad candidate and that too many in the SCGOP got caught with their blinders on when it came to her and her lack of qualification.

    he just can't admit that a lot of people feel more comfortable with someone with education credentials to lead education. even if it might, in the end, turn out to be a pretty stupid decision.

    they should have given some thought to qualifications, instead of their ability to pander to some sort of litmus test. if they had, their nominee would have made it 9-0, without a doubt.

    ... as to the UFO theory, as well as I know you, I'd believe it. But I know JGA is your cousin and you've got deep and long Lowcountry roots.
  15. June Cleever 22/11/06 12:35
    ward, don't you think you're being a little hard on the beaver?
  16. Anonymous 22/11/06 12:36
    come on, earl, go easy on him.
  17. alex 22/11/06 19:41
    Melvis Croft is a friend of ours, and Crack is one of our best friends. In fact, Betty and my mom used to go on beach trips together.

    You worked for good people, glad they could use you.

    We have rarely disagreed before, but Karen Floyd was someone I believed in. And no matter how much you persist, I know Karen Floyd. I was with her a good bit(remind your commenters however, I am not a member of the campaign staff--I am a volunteer in the truest since) and I know her heart Earl. And when people talk one of my friends, I become very defensive--especially when those attacks are unfounded.

    Karen Floyd was a great candidate. She did peak too soon. She did not reach out to the educators and she did not respond to Rex's unrelentless attacks. There are faults in every campaign, and hers was certainly not lacking. However to attack her for "smokescreen etc." is rude, and isn't very becomming of you.

    I know Karen Floyd, and she is very sharp, and knew the issues. The last 5 superintendants have had an education background and look where we are at today...I think it was time for a businesswoman/prosecutor/judge/businesswoman to take over the DEPT of ED.

    Sorry I got a little excited.
    AS
  18. Anonymous 23/11/06 02:19
    i just want to know are their any pics on the net of Karen Floyd in black leather ready to bring discipline?
  19. Moye 24/11/06 19:45
    That Alex dude has some passion and I like that. I voted for Karen also but Earl is right on several issues. You could not get Karen out not unless it was a fundraiser and believe me it is the people who do not make the fundraisers that are going to decide the election. The fundraisers make it possible to reach the others by ways of the money. Bob Staton and a few of the others should had backed her after the primary. Glad Bob took that job at PC. I do not believe that a educator is the only person for this position and it would had been interested in seeing someone from another field. You keep up with the politics Alex and then one day you may know as much as some of the older guys. I would definitely give up my knowledge to be your age again. Learn quick my friend. Earl deserved to beat you up a little.
  20. Earl Capps 25/11/06 00:40
    yeah, moye, but i don't disrespect him. republicans are about as thin on the ground in chester as they are in clarendon, and he's fighting the good fight.

    he's got balls and that counts for a lot in my book. it's like the fighter who gets back in the ring and keeps slugging at it. sooner or later, he gets it, and when he does, adds the insights to his ability to stand and fight, and becomes a real bad-ass to be reckoned with.

    he just needs a little more seasoning, and when i was his age, so did i.

    with a few people like him, given the county's demographics, and we can make a lot of long-overdue headway, and give that county's good-old-boy network a helluva shakeup.

    i'd rather him get roughed up a little here, and hit the ground a little wiser when it really counts, so he can start making some heads roll.
  21. Moye 26/11/06 11:24
    I agree Earl on your last statement well said.
  22. Alex 26/11/06 20:14
    we should meet for lunch sometime earl. See if you like me better in real life. lol.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.