"Mr.Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"


Fellow blogger Mike Burleson reminds us that twenty years ago today, President Ronald Reagan stood before the Brandenburg Gate and demanded:

General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe , if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr.Gorbachev, tear down this wall!
- Address from the Brandenburg Gate

For those my age and older, the Brandenburg Gate, which stood on the other side of the Berlin Wall from the free city of West Berlin, was a powerful symbol of just how divided Europe had been, and how radically different those two Europes were.

You can click here to listen to the speech.

When Mr. Gorbachev failed to answer Reagan's challenge, the people of West and East Germany came together to tear it down themselves. In doing so, they reclaimed their nation and changed the course of human events.

For my generation, Germany was powder keg, divided against itself, which threatened to become the flash point for a devastating global conflict. For my children, Germany is a unified nation, peaceful, prosperous, and a key partner in Europe.

What a change twenty years can make, with a little vision and the courage of a nation whose people were "yearning to breathe free".

Pictured are two portions of the Berlin Wall which were removed and brought to Spartanburg. They were erected in front of the Menzel plant on I-85 Business (the green I-85).

8 Response to ""Mr.Gorbachev, tear down this wall!""

  1. moye 12/6/07 17:38
    I need to visit this place in Spartanburg did not know about it. I do remember the Reagan speech. I remember the cold war very well and I still find it hard to believe that what happened to the Soviet Union and the reunification of Germany. I would have never guessed either would had took place
  2. Mike Burleson 13/6/07 04:35
    I'll admit, I was a skeptic back then, figuring the Soviet Union would be around forever. But the Gipper really pulled it off. He said "enough is enough". It was a Miracle!
  3. west_rhino 13/6/07 10:01
    Now perhaps we need to direct the same remarks to the SC Press Association to pull down this prejudicial wall of separation between their complicity in presenting editoral opinon as news and fighting to keep bloggers out of news events, even when invited by the organizers of those events.
  4. Anonymous 13/6/07 10:22
    hooray! that was a good day to celebrate!
  5. Anonymous 15/6/07 09:12
    shut up
  6. Anonymous 26/1/08 09:49
    General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

    Ronald Reagan
    President of the United States
    June 12, 1987

    Mr. Bush, Senators, Members of the House, fellow Americans, I lived in West Berlin. I never became accustomed to the Wall. It was always an affront to my sense of humanity. I knew it would not last but I never expected to live to see it torn down.

    Now that the Berlin wall is gone, I never expected my beloved country to follow in the footsteps of the Soviet Union and be responsible for building a new "Berlin Wall" on our borders.

    Mr. Bush, tear down that wall!
  7. Anonymous 16/2/08 21:55
    um why would some one use time to write all this. I do admire your talent, but really. why are you doing this?
  8. Earl Capps 16/2/08 22:18
    it's part of my secret agenda to take over the world. that's why.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.