College costs up in South Carolina - yep, more crybabies

Some good thoughts can be found over on FITS about the cost of higher education, as The State shares with us more News of the Obvious about the costs of a college education in South Carolina:

Students and their parents can attest to a painful truth about college costs: They’ve been on a rocket ship rise for years. And there is no end in sight.

Paying for college is especially tough in South Carolina, where public universities are the most expensive in the Southeast.


Jumping Jimmy Hodges! I thought the lottery was supposed to fix this problem ... I guess it didn't. Is anyone surprised?

Yes, one of the legacies of the "Education Governor", aside from a former Chief of Staff in prison is "tuition and fees at four-year public colleges and universities in South Carolina averaged $7,916 a year. That figure is 36 percent higher than the national average and 58 percent higher than the Southeastern average."

Thanks Jimmy. We really appreciate what you've done for our schools.

Paying for higher education is like buying a car. The price you pay tends to roughly equal the amount of money you can afford to spend. This is why in-state tuition spiralled once most college students had a few thousand more dollars to spend, via the lottery.

But to be fair, there are a lot of problems with higher education in South Carolina that had nothing to do with Hodges. Just stand in the parking lot between two state public colleges which offer two-year associate's degrees for transfer to our four year colleges, or economically depressed communities which have USC campuses but no technical education facilities to help attract industry.

FITS says duplication, waste, and turf are the problems with our system of higher education ... and they're right on the mark. It's past time to streamline our colleges as a means to making higher education more affordable for our state's families.

But one does have to marvel at these s*** for brains who attend state-run public colleges, complain about the high tuition at those state-run public colleges, but somehow decide working for federal candidates is going to solve the problem:

Lauren Johnson, a 20-year-old junior at Winthrop University, said she has two scholarships, a Pell Grant and a student loan, and she still has a hard time covering all of her costs.

“Each year, tuition goes up,” said Johnson, the daughter of a military family that settled in Columbia. “We’re scrambling even more to try to figure out how to pay for this.”

Molly Emerson, a 19-year-old volunteer for the Obama campaign, said college costs were “a huge consideration” in determining which candidate would get her support.

“The costs are astronomical,” said Emerson, who is taking a year off from college to help the Obama campaign. “I’m one of four children. My parents have many more years of costs.”

Like Emerson, Johnson is also supporting Obama, and college costs are one of the main reasons.


I'm sure glad such geniuses are working for a candidate that I don't support. I hope he keeps attracting people with such a great understanding of government.

If they're so concerned about getting an education, maybe they should:

1) Not take a year off from college to go campaign (must be tough to be so poor) and get a job to pay for their education - like I did, and
2) Stop worrying about how to spend money taken from other people's paychecks (taxes) and spend more time working for their own paychecks.

I know ... I'm cold, heartless, and cruel for talking like this, I know ... but hey, if you wanted lots of love, you've be over at FITS, not here.

7 Response to "College costs up in South Carolina - yep, more crybabies"

  1. Greeleyville moye 23/10/07 12:46
    With you on this also
  2. Anonymous 24/10/07 11:47
    Earl:

    I would like to post my name, but my children have asked me not to do so.

    I do not think the folks who are complaining about the skyrocketing costs of college are "crybabies."

    Remember, the Lottery was sold as a way to keep the best students in state at no cost to the taxpayers because the Lottery would be, in essence, a self-imposed tax. If you did not want to pay for deserving students to go to college, you did not have to do so. You could avoid this "tax" by simply avoiding the long lines at the gas station to purcahse tickets.

    Remember also that the parents of those who receive Lottery funds have to pay taxes on the funds and that they are treated as income for purposes of calculating what loans, grants, and scholarships may be available.

    Remember also that as time has passed the Legislature has taken more and more of this money and diverted it to other uses while at the same time engaging in a massive athletic arena/stadium building program and financing all sorts of pork projects from bean museums to unproven abstinence- only education programs.

    Remember also that, while students can lose Lottery money for poor performance, students who perform better in college than in high school can never get an increased Lottery allotment. The amount of the Lottery Scholarship is set by high school performance.

    My wife and I Have a child who recently graduated from college. He did not work in high school because we asked him to treat school as a job with the idea of winning a Lottery Scholarship. He worked in college, however, and maintained an "A" average. Unfortunately, because of rapidly increasing costs, he graduated owing $30,000.00.

    Our daughter will graduate from high school in 2008. She will receive more Lottery money than our son received. However, whereas the Lottery Scholarship covered almost all of the first-year costs of our son's education, it will cover about 50% of the costs of our daughter's first year.
    The amount of other finacial aid available to her is limited by the fact that we have equity in our home and the colleges think we should refinance and start the process again.

    I understand that you have worked hard to put yourself through college. I did the same and worked my way through Wofford. But, when I went to Wofford, it cost about $3,000 a year and I made $5.50 an hour working construction in the Summer. Now, what with all the available low cost illegal labor, construction jobs are rarely available for college kids and even if they were, they do not pay much more than what I received twenty five years ago. And Wofford was out of the question for my son.

    The bottom line is that adjustments need to be made in the Lottery so that deserving students can attend college. And the Legislature needs to stop throwing away our taxes to every connected Tom, Dick, and Harry who has some non-profit.
  3. Earl Capps 24/10/07 12:29
    I always love hearing from those "we've got to keep feeding the beast, stop asking questions and shovel" types.

    Those two I quoted aren't just crybabies - they're f***ing morons.

    If you wanted to use lottery money to reward performance, then you wouldn't give it to students who have a B average in high school. Anyone can get that.

    In fact, Georgia found that as a result of their program, almost nobody gets a C in their high schools. Who wants to be the bad guy?

    The problem is that a lot of B students are not four-year college material, as evidenced by the much higher rate of college dropouts - students who shouldn't have been there in the first place, and wouldn't have been except the lottery system drove them there.

    In spite of holding down full-time enrollment, with final gpa of 3.71, unlike your son, I didn't get a penny of lottery money. Somehow, when I got done with my undergrad in 2004, all I owed $8,000 ... and I worked full-time and supported a family with my paycheck, as well as college. I'm not sure how your son managed his money, but if I did as well as I did with a family and full-time job, maybe he should have stayed at home and gotten a part-time job.

    When you care that our public colleges are running off non-traditional students and our campuses are becoming richer and whiter in a state which already is split down the middle, when you care that mismanagement and duplication is driving up costs, and ...

    ... when you care about the future of this state instead of just your corner of it, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about what you think about how we can fix some of the problems with higher ed costs.
  4. Anonymous 24/10/07 13:33
    Earl:

    I do care about the future of the state.

    I agree that there is too much duplification and waste in educational spending.

    And for what it is worth, I agree that we need to make some provisions for folks like you and other non-traditional students.

    Where we disagree, I suspect. is that I will never call you a "moron."
  5. Anonymous 24/10/07 14:41
    Earl"

    I meant "duplication." I guees I am a moron.
  6. Anonymous 24/10/07 15:28
    anon - maybe you are, maybe you aren't. i don't know you, so it wouldn't be fair of me to speculate. but he's been called a lot worse and seems to take it in stride.

    are you one of those airheads that couldn't tell the difference between problems caused by state and federal governments?

    by the way, that's five points off for misspelling duplication.
  7. Anonymous 25/10/07 10:52
    Anonymous 15:28:

    I am enough of a moron to know that maintaining a "B" average in high school will not automatically qualify you for a "Life Scholarship."

    I am enough of a moron to have assisted my children in securing over $70,000 in college scholarships.

    I am enough of a moron to realize that South Carolina receives $1.25 in federal benefits for every $1.00 it pays to the federal government.

    I am enough of a moron to have avoided taking out a second mortgage to send my kids to college.

    And so on.

    I am not particularly bothered by name-calling. It just does not seem to be of much benefit.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.