Back to hell, for the last time

For the next three weeks, I’ll be pretty buried between finishing my thesis and attending the Southern States Communication Association’s annual conference in Savannah, where I’ll be participating in a panel discussion, presenting my research in Cultivation Theory and political TV advertising.

So if you see less content here in the Blogland between now and May, don’t be surprised. Like the last month of every semester of grad school, I feel like I died and went to hell.

I’ve been writing an average of four pages a day for this thesis. So far, I’m at 80 pages, and by the time it’s turned in, it’ll be closer to 100 pages. For those of you who haven’t done this, turning in the thesis is only the beginning of a 2-3 week cycle in which the thesis is turned in, reviewed by three professors who then invite the author to meet in a small, cramped basement on campus for a two-hour defense session.

That means you sit in the basement while they bitch-slap you with two hours of questions. You don’t get the questions in advance, so you’d better know your stuff.

If you pass this torture session, you get to make some corrections and changes, and submit a few copies in printed and bound format for the college library and archives. If not, you might get to wait the fall to try again, which means you get to wait until December to graduate.

Since I’ve already sent out that invitations for my graduation party, I’d hate to let down all those friends, family, and assorted shady characters who I’ve invited – as well as lose the money I’ve put into the event.

Until that’s wrapped up, expect things to slow down a little bit.

If you’ve been a good friend and/or you're shady enough, we hope to see you there. Drop us an email and we’ll add you to the invite list.

0 Response to "Back to hell, for the last time"

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.