Massey to push for roll call voting in Senate

What a difference a week can make.

On the heels of the S.C. Policy Council's report on the widespread use of voice voting in both houses of the General Assembly, Senator Shane Massey has officially jumped on the roll call voting bandwagon:


Last year I introduced the Appropriations Bill Earmark Disclosure Act, a bill that will bring greater transparency to the budgeting process by requiring legislators to put their names on requests for funds going to local projects. Unfortunately the bill died because too many big spending politicians want to fund their pet projects in secret.

I support Senator Glenn McConnell’s effort to push a commonsense conservative plan through the General Assembly. The people of South Carolina should be able to hold legislators accountable for the decisions they make at the State House, and roll call votes bring instant accountability. To bring more transparency to state government, I will ask for a roll call vote in the South Carolina Senate on any bill that requires a significant expenditure of state funds.

South Carolina faces extraordinary challenges in education, healthcare, and energy. We will never be able to solve those problems if state government keeps wasting taxpayer dollars. I was elected on a commitment that I would do whatever I could to shake things up in Columbia and tackle the tough problems facing our state. I intend to make good on that commitment even if it means ruffling a few feathers along the way.


We certainly support Massey's willingness to take up this cause in the Senate, and hope others in the Senate will join him in this valuable reform effort.

2 Response to "Massey to push for roll call voting in Senate"

  1. Eugene Brooks 14/8/08 13:55
    Anyone that takes a look at Shane Massey can readily see that he is a hard worker. I voted for him in the run off and I will be voting for him again.
    I have spoken with him several times about different concerns I and a lot of people have, he has always been Attentive,a great listener.

    Shane has just begun his fight in Columbia and He is doing it for all the people of South Carolina. I stand behind a good man and a friend of the people. There is no one better.
  2. Anonymous 18/8/08 08:56
    Shane Massey is doing the right thing. I wish he was my Senator and not that old fogey.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.