(Pocket) Change we can believe in

Obama's selection of Rahm Emanuel as Chief of Staff is hardly a good first step, but hey, it's not like we were one of the ones who got suckered by all that whole "Change" BS the man was throwing about.

President-elect Barack Obama's newly appointed chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, served on the board of directors of the federal mortgage firm Freddie Mac at a time when scandal was brewing at the troubled agency and the board failed to spot "red flags," according to government reports reviewed by ABCNews.com. Collapse

According to a complaint later filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Freddie Mac, known formally as the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, misreported profits by billions of dollars in order to deceive investors between the years 2000 and 2002.


... Read more of the ABC News.com story

If this is how the first week starts out, then hold on folks.

8 Response to "(Pocket) Change we can believe in"

  1. Daniel 8/11/08 22:18
    "I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited." - John McCain

    It is kind of funny that you have found something to bitch about already.

    The essential job description is responsible for overseeing the actions of the White House staff, managing the president's schedule, and deciding who is allowed to meet with the president.

    I can see how you would be concerned as Dick Cheney is a former Chief of Staff.

    Instead of bashing the Pres-elect why don't you try doing something positive? Hmmm...Maybe leading the Republican Party back to its core values. You know small government, low taxes for the "average Joe" not just the well-off, etc.

    I have only started reading your blog recently, but it seems you aren't open to another's point of view. So I am sure that my response will not be well received.

    As an FYI... I am a registered Republican, and I nearly cried this year when I made the decision to vote for Obama. While, as you have noted, Obama may be inexperienced, he has a documented and fairly well fact-checked plan. McCain didn't have one that worked when you put up the numbers. He kept throwing ideas up on the wall, but rarely, when you worked the numbers, did they really work. And let's face it, this election was about the numbers. McCain should have surrounded himself with experts in various areas of his own weakness so that he could have stood a chance. He didn't do that.

    Funny that Obama took the "Schwarzenegger approach", and just like in California it spoke to the voters.
  2. Earl Capps 8/11/08 23:23
    Daniel, I suppose you didn't read my recent "Long Road Back" posting, did you?

    The current President didn't receive any sort of "honeymoon" period, including from the politicos and media types who have supported Obama, so why am I obligated to be any kinder than they've been? Especially when the truth is the truth.

    I don't find picking someone as partisan as Emmanuel, or with such questionable ties, is in keeping with "necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity".

    I'll give agreement when I feel like offering it, and disagreement just as well. Having freedom of speech, I can do it either way. If you don't like what you're reading, then you're free to move along.

    The only thing that would be truly unusual would be if there was something I believed to be wrong or concerning and didn't speak up.
  3. Daniel 9/11/08 11:49
    As you stated - "It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with us - we're just glad you're taking the time to speak up and join the conversation in the Blogland"

    I don't agree with you, and so I shared my opinion.

    As is happens I voted for Bush. I am well aware, as is the country, he didn't get much of a honeymoon period prior to 9/11.

    As for questionable ties, everyone in Washington has questionable ties. Hell, even McCain and nearly his entire campaign management team had questionable ties. So quit throwing stones.

    I have read quit a bit of your blog. My roommate is or was a friend of yours, not sure since she quit talking about you. You appear to be quite set about your opinions and not really open to others even though your words say differently.

    I don't think I will post anymore on this blog for that reason. I do like reading your opinion. As you said we are all entitled to one.

    I personally think we need to talk about how our party got so far off track. It is concerning when the Republican party seems more left than the Democratic party when it comes to fiscal responsibility.
  4. Williamsburg county mg 9/11/08 13:49
    To Daniel you make me want to throw up. The nerve of you to call yourself a member of the GOP and still vote for Obama. While yes he is all of our President elect and I also wish him nothing but good things as we need it. The pick he made was horrible. Obama cannot do no wrong and the left media makes sure of that. As my bumper sticker say four and out. It is my duty as an American and a member of the GOP to make sure my party takes it back.
  5. Daniel 9/11/08 17:29
    mg,

    You go ahead an puke away. The chose of Sarah Palin made me want to puke, and was one of many reasons for my choice. Many fellow Republicans made the same choice.

    Hopefully "our" party can decide whether we are going to truly stick to our values or if our values have changed, or even some of the rumblings there will be a split. Personally I hope we can go back to our basic values.

    Some of the discussions we started having last night were around Newt Gingrich helping to bring us back together. We will see what the elections in 2010 and then 2012 bring.
  6. Earl Capps 9/11/08 22:51
    Daniel - if you think I'm an asshole ... two divorces later, there are those who would probably agree with you.

    I don't have to agree with what you've had to say, but usually I'll approve the comments anyway.

    The conduct of the former GOP congressional majority got its come-uppance. There's no small irony that Hastert saddled up and rode into the sunset shortly afterwards - "well, boys, my work is done here, adios!"

    The GOP brandname just doesn't inspire much confidence, and it's going to take some time to restore people's confidence in that.

    I'd rather have the GOP of the 1990s, where the controversy was over ideas and not sleaze. It's time to get back to those days, and that's a subject that will be getting plenty of discussion here in the Blogland.
  7. west_rhino 10/11/08 08:43
    Alas, for "change", Mr. Obama probably has more to overcome from his own party than from the cneter and the right.
  8. Anonymous 11/11/08 09:42
    Given the poetic rhyme and meter, "Change it is deceivin"

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.