Bill Gates bails on Facebook at "10,000" friends

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said he was forced to give up on the social networking phenomenon Facebook after too many people wanted to be his friend.

Gates, the billionaire computer geek-turned-philanthropist who was honoured Saturday by India for his charity work, told an audience in New Delhi he had tried out Facebook but ended up with "10,000 people wanting to be my friends".

Gates, who remains Microsoft chairman, said he had trouble figuring out whether he "knew this person, did I not know this person".

"It was just way too much trouble so I gave it up," Gates told the business forum.


At the risk of sounding - once again - like a cranky curmudgeon - this is more to the concern which has been raised here about how online social networking can serve to lessen the meaning of what friends are supposed to be.

4 Response to "Bill Gates bails on Facebook at "10,000" friends"

  1. Mike Reino 26/7/09 09:27
    hey, I know how Bill Gates feels. I have 350 Facebook friends...

    No, Facebook isn't made for celebrities, it's for ordinary people like myself and you, Earl. We don't get inundated with 10000 requests from people we don't know. I usually get one or two a day, and I'm usually the one requesting.

    It's an excellent networking tool for little people to keep up with friends that you might not normally talk to, or even want to talk to directly. If Facebook were around when I ran for Congress, my campaign would have been much more effective, although I still would have lost!
  2. mg 26/7/09 13:39
    I kind of like the facebook but I do limit friends
  3. Anonymous 27/7/09 08:07
    Ohh BOO HOO for poor Bill Gates 10,000 friends on facebook. For a really intelligent guy that was quite a stupid comment. Afterall, he did have the option of not approving all those folks.
  4. Earl Capps 28/7/09 19:25
    No, boo hoo on the ten thousand dumb shits who think they could be a real friend with a complete stranger.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.