I never knew a freeway project was such big news

Today's write-up in the Charleston Post and Courier about my company's I-26 project, which featured yours truly, ended up making six daily papers around the state: Beaufort, Charleston, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, and Spartanburg.


The project, planned for completion in April 2011, is ahead of schedule, he said. However, Capps declined to say when the work would be finished. "It's our intention to beat that completion date," he said.

The $11.6 million redesigned Remount Road interchange that is part of the project was recently completed in 126 days, which beat the contract for that work by 24 days. The new interchange is the "first major milestone" for the project, he said. The interchange has reopened except for a newly designed part that will connect along I-26 west from Remount Road to Aviation Avenue.

"Remount Road is going to be much better," Capps said. The interchange has taken on even more importance as a vital artery to the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner assembly plant in North Charleston, which is expected to employ at least 3,800 people

Although the I-26 work is ahead of schedule, worker safety continues to be an issue, and Capps said the public can help with that problem. So far, seven work vehicles have been hit and one employee struck but not seriously injured, he said.

When the work gears back up in early January, Capps urged drivers to follow the posted, reduced speed limits in the work zones. "Every person driving through this project is part of our safety team," he said.


One of the nicest things about my work doing community and media relations for my company is that our major projects are consistently finished ahead of schedule. There's no need to BS or spin good news.

But I always figured that in order to become statewide news, I'd have to do something far more heinous.

0 Response to "I never knew a freeway project was such big news"

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.