Carrying on a tradition started by his predecessor, Secretary of State Mark "Dirty Harry" Hammond announced this year's "Angels and Scrooges", identifying those registered charitable organizations who devoted the largest, as well as smallest, shares of their revenue towards their programs.
It's interesting to note that while all of the Scrooges were based outside of South Carolina, eight of the ten Angels were based in-state.
The Angels were groups which had been established for at least three years; has collected revenue greater than $20,000; 80 percent or more of the revenue must go toward the charities’ program goals; makes good use of volunteer labor; and receives minimal funding in grants.
The Scrooges were those who spent a high percentage of their collections on stated program activities and/or use of a high percentage of collections to pay professional solicitors. The following criteria were considered: the charity had given 40 percent or less of the revenue to the charities’ program goals; collected revenue greater than $20,000; and spent a large amount of donations on the use of professional fundraisers.
So who were the good guys and bad guys?
- Angel Flight Soars, Inc., Atlanta, GA 87.3%
- Cheer for Children, Rock Hill, SC 98.2%
- Family Promise of Beaufort County, Inc., Beaufort, SC 99.9% - highest percentage
- Fields to Families, Ladson, SC 98.5%
- Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, Jacksonville, FL 85.8%
- Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC, Greenville, SC 92.8%
- Horry County Museum Foundation, Conway, SC 99.6%
- House of Hope of the Pee Dee, Florence, SC 83.6%
- Kiawah Island Natural Habitat Conservancy, Kiawah Island, SC 80.8%
- Pets, Inc. of the Midlands, West Columbia, SC 98.7%
- A Leg to Stand On, New York, NY 34.2%
- American Assoc. of State Troopers Scholarship Foundation, Tallahassee, FL 34.4%
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind, Silver Spring, MD 20.3%
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation, Inc., Schererville, IN 35.8%
- Disabled Veterans National Foundation, Washington, DC 37.0%
- Firefighters Support Foundation, Inc., Greenfield, MA 7.5% - lowest percentage
- National Cancer Assistance Foundation, Sarasota, FL 11.7%
- National Veterans Service Fund, Inc., Darien, CT 17.5%
- Parkinson Research Foundation, Inc., Sarasota, FL 25.3%
- Project Cure, Inc., Bradenton, FL 22.7%