Carrying on a tradition started by his predecessor, Secretary of State Mark "Dirty Harry" Hammond announced this year's "Angels and Scrooges", identifying those registered charitable organizations who devoted the largest, as well as smallest, shares of their revenue towards their programs.
It's interesting to note that while eight of the ten Scrooges were based outside of South Carolina, eight of the ten Angels were based in-state.
The Angels must devote 80 percent or more of its total expenditures to charitable programs; the charity must have been in existence for three or more years; the charity must make good use of volunteer services; and the charity must receive minimal funding from grants. Each year the Secretary of State’s Office attempts to showcase Angels with diverse missions, from across South Carolina and outside the state.
The Scrooges failed to spend a high percentage of its collections on stated program activities and/or use of a high percentage of collections to pay professional solicitors. The charities designated as this year’s Scrooges are listed below, along with the percentage of expenditures used for program services. Those recognized are listed in alphabetical order, and are not ranked by the Secretary of State.
So who were this year's good guys and bad guys?
- ACTS-Area Churches Together Serving, Inc., Aiken, SC 86.5%
- Associated Charities, Inc., Myrtle Beach, SC 97.6%
- Camp Discovery at His Acres, Inc., Blythewood, SC 96.2%
- Carolina Wildlife Care, Inc., Columbia, SC 87%
- Children’s Advocacy Center of Spartanburg, Inc., Spartanburg, SC 89.1%
- DonorsChoose.org, New York City, NY 94.8%
- Let There Be Mom Inc., Greenville, SC 92.2%
- Project Host, Inc., Greenville, SC 91.8%
- South Carolina STRONG, North Charleston, SC 98%
- Support Our Troops, Daytona Beach, FL 98.3% - Highest percentage listed
- Cancer Survivors’ Fund, Missouri City, TX 9.1%
- Children’s Leukemia Research Association, Inc., Garden City, NY 23.9%
- Disabled Police Officers Counseling Center, Inc., Niceville, FL 7.5%
- Foundation for American Veterans, Inc., West Bloomfield, MI 10.4%
- Korean War Veterans National Museum and Library, Chicago, IL 32.7%
- Law Enforcement Education Program, Inc., Troy, MI 2.9% - Lowest percentage listed
- Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation of America, Milwaukie, OR 12.8%
- South Carolina Professional Firefighters Association, Myrtle Beach, SC 24%
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, O.B. Rosseger Post #2779, Orangeburg, SC 4.9%
- Woman to Woman Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc., Lauderdale Lakes, FL 3.1%