Obamacare, the Big Picture and Honesty


Yesterday, I wrote something some people didn’t like. There’s no point rehashing what was said or what they had to say. I’m sure at least some of it was long-standing frustrations being vented with me. Either they’re over it or not, but in any event, I’m over it and ready to move on. But I'd like to close the week out by clearing up questions about what I think of “Obamacare”. It’s an issue that I’ve chosen not to discuss on my blog because I tend to focus upon state issues, not national ones.

Those who know what I do for a living know I’ve been working in the fields of human resources and occupational safety for quite a few years (not a blogger for hire or whatever else you may have heard). While I’ve long ascribed to the view that more federal government intervention is a bad thing, my career experiences have greatly reinforced that point of view. Some of these issues I’ve covered on the blog and others I haven’t – but would be glad to discuss with anyone who wants to know.

While it’s certainly not the only issue which can hurt the private sector, Obamacare is one of the bigger ones. The costs to employers and employees alike already have been steep. Employers have often chosen to absorb many of the costs, but in a tough economy, you can bet many employers have been forced to cut jobs to pay for complying with these mandates. I couldn’t be more opposed to Obamacare.

My biggest concern is that those objecting to Obamacare, aside from the dangerous and angry conduct by a few which makes us all look bad, is that in their zeal to challenge Obamacare, they are overlooking many other actions by this administration that will do tremendous damage to the private sector and our nation’s economy.

When I don’t see public outrage about things such as the recess appointments to the CFPB and NLRB, the OFCCP’s proposed handicap hiring quota, the NLRB handbook reviews and Poster Rules, along with ramped up compliance audits and visits by a wide range of regulatory agencies, it concerns me. We could stop Obamacare and this administration would still hammer our private sector into the ground – and few people would even see it coming.

As someone who has laid off employees and heard the sometimes-angry responses by employees who are paying more and getting less with regard to their health insurance, opposing Obamacare is not simply a theoretical exercise in constitutional government. 

Does it make the concerns of others any less legitimate? Not in the least. If anything, I appreciate that people who may not have a direct stake are speaking up for those who do. It’s the kind of civic spirit that our country has long been lacking and it’s one of the best things about the country – the willingness of folks to stand up for someone else who is the victim of injustice or reach out to lend a hand when it’s not their problem.

Is this an apology or retraction of any sort? Nope. Do I expect it from others? Nope. You said your piece. Stand by it.

The blogosphere is full of people with strong opinions and political discourse in this world can be a contact sport. I’m as entitled to my opinion as they are theirs. At the end of the day, we’re better off when people speak up, even when it’s a little off target, than to live in a world where people remain silent for the fear of getting it wrong or offending someone.

If you’ve got something to say, post it publicly or reach out to me directly and share your points of view. I don't expect agreement and I appreciate those who are thoughtful enough to present an informed position and honest enough to tell me how they see things. Those who have usually find me agreeable and willing to hear them out. 

As always, thanks for reading and be sure to enjoy the weekend.

0 Response to "Obamacare, the Big Picture and Honesty"

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

To post a comment without having a Blogger account, select "Name/URL", put your name in, but leave the URL line blank. Email me if you'd like to comment, but need help making it work.