While passed over for a prospective Secretary of Transportation Presidential appointment by Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx, Sixth District Congressman Clyburn reminisced in The State about his twenty-year Congressional career:
I spend a few moments before I leave in the morning or before I close my eyes at night trying to figure out how I can do something to make every one of you proud.
How could Clyburn make every one of us proud? Let's look at what he's done so far:
- There's his daughter, the FCC commissioner (wonder how she got that gig), who roadblocks efforts to jam cell phone signals by prisons to protect prison guards and the general public.
- Sleeping during the State of the Union.
- Outspending many of his Congressional colleagues for car rentals.
- Pork barrelling an unnescessary bridge project that (fortunately) never got built.
- Pork barrelling an unnecessary college - and then blaming problems on Mark Sanford.
- Screaming race when Congressional colleagues get investigated.
- Hiring a former member of Orangeburg County Council right out of prison roughly a year after he went there for bribery.
We're not sure what Clyburn can do next to top this record but if he wants to make us proud, resigning might be a good way to start ...